RAID means Redundant Array of Independent Disks, when initially developed there are only 5 levels of RAID are available and each having different options in features and performance, now up to 10 levels are defined. Some web hosting companies in India claim 100% uptime guarantee but they don’t provide any details about what kind of hardware and software systems are in place for their servers to actually make 100% uptime feasible over a period of time.
RAID Hosting web hosting packages in India are rare to find due to lack of knowledge and technical capability among the small and medium hosting providers. Some companies who provide unlimited web space don’t opt for RAID because they are on a mission to oversell the server’s disk space to the maximum possible extent. RAID servers are needed to be monitored continuously and some web hosts don’t want to increase their costs. RAID Hosting is not economical because it needs continuous monitoring and number of websites per server will be decreased and can’t utilize full hard drive space.
Why RAID Hosting?
- To provide web hosting, RAID is not mandatory and easy to install and maintain on the servers, but if you have ever had a hard drive crash, you know how costly in time and effort it is to restore the data on that hard drive with RAID you can reduce the downtime.
- It ensures maximum uptime and minimize the downtime while recovering and restoring the server
- Using SCSI and IDE Hard disks, chances of failures over prolonged and continued usage is higher and these are the most susceptible devices on a web server when they constantly being used.
- Using RAID will also solve the need of quick access to large data, websites hosted with RAID hosting sites will load faster than other sites
- When multiple times data reading/writing happens on the same hard drive which is common in shared hosting because of hosting multiple domains in the same server, chances of Hard drive failure is very high.
- Almost all the shared hosting providers clearly mention in their TOS about the data loss and they mention it is the customers responsibility when there is a data loss and customer should make sure that they have proper backups at their local systems, by using RAID in shared hosting will minimize the risk of losing the data and recovering faster.
IBEE powered with RAID Controllers in all its shared hosting consumer and enterprise class servers to provide better uptime and quality hosting. come host with IBEE and feel the difference, you may call at 1800-102-4233 or mail to email@example.com for more details.